Skip to content
EPSOM & EWELL HISTORY EXPLORER
Menu

Lost Buildings

Part K – Garages

In 2009 Bourne Hall Museum put together an exhibition of photos in Bourne Hall foyer, bringing back to life long-gone buildings of character that many argue should never have been demolished. Jeremy Harte, the museum curator, very kindly gave us access to the images which we have put on these pages.

Farm Garage was originally a late 17th-century stable block. Farm Garage, at 28 Church Street Epsom, was originally a late 17th-century stable block.

Another view of Farm Garage. 
(The building on the far right of the picture is Ye Olde Kings Head pub.)
Photograph courtesy of Roger Morgan.

Woodcote Motors was built in 1935 in Art Deco style by Wallis Gilbert & Partners, with a tower like an ocean liner.Woodcote Motors was built in 1935 in Art Deco style by Wallis Gilbert & Partners, with a tower like an ocean liner.

The original garage on the site of Wilsons at East StreetThe original garage on the site of Wilsons at East Street

Page Motors moved into the old Skiltons premises on the High Street in 1919 and fitted the town's first petrol pumps.Page Motors moved into the old Skiltons premises on the High Street
in 1919 and fitted the town’s first petrol pumps.

The wheelwright's business established by Thomas Field in 1852 on Dorking Road gradually changed its focus to become a motor works and today is the BP service station.The wheelwright’s business established by Thomas Field in 1852 on Dorking Road gradually changed its focus
to become a motor works and today is the BP service station.

White's Garage, another of the premises competing for the new trade of motorists as they left Epsom down East Street.White’s Garage, another of the premises competing for the new trade
of motorists as they left Epsom down East Street.

Previous Page      Next Page

Report a Correction