Lost Buildings
Part L – Farms and Mills
In 2009 Bourne Hall Museum put together an exhibition of photos in Bourne Hall foyer, bringing back to life long-gone buildings of character that many argue should never have been demolished. Jeremy Harte, the museum curator, very kindly gave us access to the images which we have put on these pages.
Rectory Farm was a Tudor building with 17th-century fireplaces. The Glyn family owned it
and pulled it down in 1905 to improve their lawn (now part of the churchyard).
This barn at Woodcote was one of the surviving agricultural buildings of Epsom on the Harwood Estate
The Lower Mill on the Hogsmill, originally timber-framed, was rebuilt using brick in 1896.
Closed in the 1920s and used to store furniture, it was lost in a dramatic fire in 1938.
Link to our Flour Mills pages
The last of the gunpowder mill buildings was converted to supply
electricity to the Bridges family at Ewell Court.
Link to our Gunpowder Mill pages
Warren Farm was noted for its lavender fields. It was demolished
in the development of Nonsuch High School for Girls and after 1980 the fields were no longer cultivated.

Ruxley Farm, seen from the old ford of Ruxley Splash, on the site now occupied by Epsom & Ewell High School.