Skip to content
EPSOM & EWELL HISTORY EXPLORER
Menu

War Memorials – Long Grove Hospital

Back to our main war memorials page


Unfortunately, this small and out of focus image of the now lost memorials
is the only one we have. However, their texts are reproduced clearly below.

Long Grove Hospital was one of Epsom’s “cluster” of mental hospitals. When the Hospital was redeveloped for housing around the year 2000, these bronze WW1 & WW2 memorial plaques were sadly lost.

The larger plaque, reproduced below, was erected on 11 March 1922 and commemorates the seventeen former employees of Long Grove Mental Hospital who lost their lives during the Great War,  All the names, with the exception of the presumably non-local Frederick Watkins, are also shown on Epsom’s Ashley Road memorial.

Click on a nameTo read more about an individual please click on their name.
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2009

Butland, R Doran, J Hambly, B Jibb, AH Kirkaldy, D Knights, JP Lambert, FC Watkins, F Lawrence, N Lowes, WA Morley, CJ Peters, W Plumridge, WJ Turner, HD Walton, P Anderson, RW Daniel, WG

To commemorate the two former employees who died in the Second World War another bronze plaque – again reproduced below – was placed directly below the Great War plaque. Both of the casualties are also commemorated in the Book of Remembrance held at the Town Hall.

Click on a nameTo read more about an individual please click on their name.
Image courtesy of Clive Gilbert © 2009

Stewart, DJ Pullinger, WT

A bronze plaque bearing the names of the seventeen former employees of Long Grove Mental Hospital, who lost their lives during the Great War, was erected on 11 March 1922. All the names, with the exception of Frederick Watkins, are also shown on the Ashley Road memorial.

To commemorate the two former employees who died in the Second World War another bronze plaque was placed directly below the Great War plaque. Both men are also commemorated in the Book of Remembrance held at the Town Hall.

Unfortunately, when the Long Grove Asylum was redeveloped for housing, around the year 2000, the plaque vanished.