Skip to content
EPSOM & EWELL HISTORY EXPLORER
Menu

THE COMRADES CLUB, EPSOM
A brief history from 1878 to 1995

Written in July 1995 by Denis Cook and Pat Lawrence

The Comrades Club at 1 The Parade, Epsom in about 1980.
Image Courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum

The land and site on which the club stands was originally purchased by a Mr Reader in 1878.

There were several covenants attached to the deeds by the vendor Mr Hoskins, one of which was ban on the sale of intoxicating liquors in any building to be erected on the site. This appears to have been instigated by the vendor (Mr Hoskins) who had a vested interest in the land on which the Spread Eagle stood – whose calling by a strange coincidence, was that of a master brewer.

The Location of  Old Comrades Club on the 1913 OS Map

The position of the ban on the sale of liquor was resolved by the new owner, a Mr Norman, who sold Costello to the club, agreeing to pay any costs the Club incurred in a 7-year period after purchase. Apparently nobody raised any objections.

Another covenant was that the new owner of the site should erect a 6’ x 9” wall along the north boundary. This was highlighted during the latest re-development of the Spread Eagle shopping precinct, when a dispute arose over who owned the wall between the two sites.

The ownership of the site and building named ‘Lonsdale’ passed to a Mr Norman in 1916 who paid £1,500. There is no indication when the name changed to Costello.

The Club was first formed under the title of Epsom Branch Comrades of the Great War Ltd, and registered under the Industrial and Provident Societies Act on the 18th November 1920, its registered office being the Post Office building; in the high street. Presumably they met there before taking over Costello. The registered number being 8272 (R Surrey). The Club still holds this number. The registration date does not necessarily denote the date the Club was formed.

Cover of the Club Rule Book
Image Courtesy of Epsom & Ewell Local & Family History Centre 

The building and land were purchased in April 1921, for the sum of £3500 The prime mover here being Sir Edward Coates MP. also involved was Gordon L C Hill (Major Retired) JP MC, who was a president of the Club and could have possibly been the founder President. His picture hangs in the Committee Room and was originally in the main hall.  It was presented by his wife and had a brass plague underneath it extolling his virtues and his motto – ‘Service Before Self’. The exchange of contracts and final legal works are dated 14th April 1921.  In the early days of the clubs existence, money was raised by issuing loan stock, starting in 1921. Shares were valued at 10/- (50p) each and a dividend 6% approximately 7.2 pence (3p) per share was paid.  Total number of shares issued = 2754 with a face value of £1,377. Why it was necessary to raise this money is not clear. Perhaps it was used to pay off any outstanding loans used to purchase this premises and equip it.  In time the loan stock shares were gradually redeemed and brought back in by the club. The number of shares purchased varied considerably from 2 shares to one member who purchased 390 shares

After moving to Cestello, the Club name was changed to British Legion Comrades Club (Epsom) Ltd, registration number 8272 (R Surrey) dated 3rd November 1930. There is no indication when British Legion was dropped from the Club title, but it happened sometime between 1947 and 1953.

As far as we can see the Club paid up its outstanding mortgage of £1,150 including interest and costs in June 1947.

A function in the Old Comrades Club during the 1950’s
Image Courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum

Two major developments have occurred at the Club over the years. Apart from numerous internal alterations, and resiting of the bars, the original building had a billiard room at the west end of the club.  In 1936, this was structurally altered and widened to form the present concert hall.

In the late 1950’s, a full size stage was added to the end of the concert hall with toilets and dressing rooms.  The area to the right of the concert hall where the food counter is was constructed at the same time and the billiard table was moved from the main hall to this area.  The table was sold in February 1974 to make way for more seating in the concert hall.  In the early 90’s, the children’s room was added, with voluntary help from members.

All information was gleaned from the deeds and historical papers associated with the Comrades Club Epsom by Denis Cook and Pat Lawrence.

Every effort was made to confirm the information and, as far as we are aware, the information is true.

13 July 1995


THE COMRADES CLUB TODAY

In the 2010s, the original building housing the Epsom Comrades Club was demolished and a much bigger building was erected on its large site. Most of this is the Epsom Town Centre Premier Inn, with the club now occupying a self-contained suite of rooms on the ground floor.

The Comrades Club, on the ground floor of the Town Centre Premier Inn.
1 The Parade Epsom KT18 5BT
https://www.comradesclubepsom.uk/
Photographs by Roger Morgan © 2023

 

The 2008 aerial view below is of the original Club building. Its irregularly-shaped site was more fully used for the 2010s redevelopment and, as can be seen by comparison with the 2023 photograph above, the club’s present suite of rooms is on most of the footprint of its original building.

 

The Comrades Club in 2008
(part of one of the many aerial photographs commissioned