Woodcote Villa,
2 Woodcote Green Road
and 10 Woodcote Road, Epsom.
10 Woodcote Road
Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum
Epsom Heritage records that ‘Opposite the Ladas stands an attractive weather-boarded cottage at No. 10 Woodcote Road, still looking like the neighbourhood corner shop which it was until the 1980’s. Last owned by an American lady, this very convenient facility was lost due to cheaper price competition from the larger stores in the town. Next, at No. 2 Woodcote Green Road, is Woodcote Villa, dating from the 17th century but with a mid/late 19th century brick facade and an unusual front door, probably of Spanish origin’.
Woodcote Villa, 2 Woodcote Road
Image courtesy of Bourne Hall Museum
Research Notes
In 1974,Woodcote Villa was listed Grade II, TQ 2059 3489, :-
‘Early C19. Two storeys, red brick, three modern sash windows. Central heavily enriched panelled door in fluted architrave. Hipped modern tile roof’.
Reportedly a timber framed building, what became 2 Woodcote Green Road appears on Epsom’s 1843 Tithe Map numbered 1127 and attached to the eventual 10 Woodcote Road, within a group of four properties owned by Edward Proctor and occupied by Miss Peters and others.
The artist James Collinson moved to Epsom on his marriage to Eliza Wheeler in 1858. He subsequently submitted paintings to the British Institution for Promoting the Fine Arts in the United Kingdom from ‘Woodcote Villa, Epsom’ – ‘The Bankrupt’ in 1859 & ‘Off to the Derby’, 1860. His address was been taken to be the house sited at the southern end of Woodcote Road but the assumption has been questioned [LINK Collinson ]. Certainly for the 1861 Census, however, the Collinsons were enumerated in the ‘Common Fields’.
Jeremiah Johnson had arrived in Epsom from Carshalton to appear as a shopkeeper in the Kelly’s Directory for that year and was located in the Woodcote Green area for 1859. The 1871 census reveals Jeremiah and Isabella Johnson conducting a grocery and dairy business opposite ‘The Fox’ public house in [10] Woodcote Road at the junction with Chalk Lane. That hostelry came to be renamed ‘The Ladas‘ after the 1894 Derby horse race winner. On 1 April 1897 Jeremiah was interred at Epsom Cemetery in grave F94 and his wife, Isabella, was buried in the same grave, 17 October 1899.
By 1875, Jeremiah’s daughter, Miss Isabella Johnson, had established a ladies school next to her parents’ shop in Woodcote. Her address was stated to be ‘Woodcote Villa’ from 1894 and in the 1900 Rate Book she is shown as occupying that property, then owned by Rev. E W Northey. She continued to run her educational establishment there at least until 1911 and lived on the premises in retirement, before dying at Epsom Cottage Hospital on 11 March 1928. She was succeeded by her unmarried sister Mary Ann Broderick Johnson who, having attained the age of 87, was brought from 2 Woodcote Green Road for burial in grave F373 at Epsom Cemetery on 5 January 1932.
On 10 February 1932, General Sir Edward Northey offered a number of properties for sale by auction including 2 Woodcote Green Road and 8 & 10 Woodcote Road – Surrey History Centre 7295/6/1.
By 1934 the occupier of 2 Woodcote Green Road had become Francis Kearsley Mallett. Military Cross, gazetted 11 November 1918 –
Capt. Francis Kearsley Mallett, N. Lan. R. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty whilst commanding his company. On several occasions he rallied his men under heavy shell fire, and conducted the withdrawal of his company when ordered to do so with the greatest ability and success. He set a fine example of courage to all under his command, and was largely responsible for the good results obtained.
Capt. Mallett had married Blanche Green in Hartlepool at the end of 1918 but they were involved in divorce proceedings during 1929. Francis (known as ‘Frank’) survived until 7 August 1949 when he died in Epsom Cottage Hospital, aged 68.
It has proved impossible to date the elaborate front door other than it was earlier than 1969 but it could have been installed when Capt. Mallett acquired the property.
Surrey History Centre hold images within the collection of Historic Buildings Photographs, reference CC1101/3/58/497 – 504.