Skip to content
EPSOM & EWELL HISTORY EXPLORER
Menu

DORSET HOUSE, EWELL

Dorset House Front 1955Dorset House Rear 1955
The now lost Dorset House in 1955
(Front elevation on left, Rear elevation on right)
Reproduced by permission of Surrey History Centre
Copyright of Surrey History Centre

Dorset House was a property which once stood on the road running from the centre of Ewell village to Pit House. This is now called Cheam Road, but was known in earlier times as Eastern Approach, Eastern Entrance and then, because it served Ewell Grove, as Grove Road. (Why the property became known as “Dorset House” is not yet known, but seems to have no connection with Epsom’s Dorset family.)

Extract from the 1932 OS Map showing Dorset House

In the schedules of Ewell Copyholds on this website, the messuage which became Dorset House is listed as part of Plot 286 on a map for the Enclosure Award of 1802 as follows:-

Dates Holder Reference
Prior to 1735 Sarah Robotham 10/172 page 21
1736 Walter Robotham 10/172 page 21
1743 Henry Fendall 10/172 page 64
1749 Helena Fendall 10/171
1757 William Williams 10/171
1770 Ann Williams 10/173
1786 Henry Williams 10/175 page 221
1789 Thomas Williams 10/175 page 240
1799 Henry Kitchen 10/175 page 371
1805 Mary Kitchen 10/168 parcel 10
1805 George Barnes 10/168 parcel 10
1861 Henrietta Vansittart 32/33/2
1869 Dr George Thomas Barnes 10/167 page 36, 10/179 page 430

 

Dorset House itself is reported to have dated from the early 18th century. Since the property was already standing on the site in 1802 as depicted in the following extract one may infer that it was erected by Henry Kitchen, senior, a prominent local builder.

Extract from the 1802 Enclosure Map

At that date George Barnes had a house on the opposite side of the street. The latter is considered in an article about James Lowe: he had been present in Ewell by 1802 when his son George Thomas Barnes was baptised at St Mary’s. Although subject to a petition in bankruptcy during 1814 it appears that the family could have clung on to this real estate because Henrietta Vansittart was a grandchild of George Barnes senior.

In 1841, an occupier is named as Frederick Taylor, later of Worcester Park, who owned the Malden gunpowder mill at that time.

George Robinson Barnes was a Doctor of Medicine who had come to Ewell in 1867 and could have been the copyholder two years later but the reference to George Thomas Barnes , the name of the son of ‘Squire’ George Barnes is confusing.

Dr G R Barnes continued to practice from the premises until his demise 25 August 1892.

Dr Barnes was succeeded by Dr Ernest Noel Reichardt who remained in the house until 1916.

Percy Beaumont Shepheard, Solicitor, and his wife Edith May were in residence during 1921. Although the family then moved away, there remained some connection with Ewell: after Percy Shepheard’s death (in Kensington on 10 March 1953), his body was buried in St Mary’s churchyard.

[As an aside, the couple’s son Robert (who was baptised in St Mary’s, Ewell on 30 January 1921) served with 166 Squadron in WW2. On 21 May 1944, he was pilot of Lancaster LL954 AS-E which left RAF Kirmington on a bombing mission against Dortmund. On the way home, the aircraft was brought down. Three of the crew were killed in the crash and the other four (including Robert) were taken prisoner. He was held Stalag Luft 3 (Belaria) – of “The Great Escape” fame. After the war, Robert returned to England, got married and settled in Kent.]

Dr W H Rogers had taken over Dorset House by 1922.

In 1925 & 1927, Gerald Hubert and Dorothy Ellen Kellie occupied Dorset House with their family. He was described as a Bookbinder.

At the beginning of 1947, a non-profit home for the aged was established there, supported by the Epsom Rotary Club and a local church group.

By July 1955, the building was standing empty. Purchased by Epsom and Ewell Urban District Council, it was subsequently demolished to make space for parking cars. A remembrance of the lost building is provided by the official title “Dorset House car park”.

Brian Bouchard © 2011

Dorset House Car Park.
Photograph by Roger Morgan © 2023

Report a Correction