War Memorials – St Mary’s, Cuddington
Back to our main war memorials page
The medieval village of Cuddington, including its parish church, was demolished by Henry VIII in 1538 to make way for Nonsuch Palace and, for 300 years, the parish had no church building. As the area grew in the late 19th Century, residents wanted a local church.
A site was selected – in The Avenue, Worcester Park, about two miles from that of the medieval church – and a temporary “Iron Church” was opened in 1867. In due course, work began on the present church (just to the west of the temporary structure). This opened in November 1895, and in 1896 was declared the parish church in substitution for the medieval church.
St Mary’s has two Great War memorials, as shown below. The first commemorates the fallen from the parish while the second is in memory of the son of the new church’s first vicar – the Revd William Edward Layton – who, at the time of his son’s death, was living in Worthing.

To read more about an individual please click on their name.
Photographs courtesy of Clive Gilbert 2007
While it seems the church does not have a parish WW2 memorial, its West Window is a memorial to Flying Officer Alfred Greenfield who, aged 20, was killed when his aircraft crashed on 7 June 1944.

Alfred Greenfield’s memorial window and plaque at St Mary’s, Cuddington
Photographs by Roger Morgan © 2019
